Friday, December 17, 2010

musing on music

Music is one of the great ideas of the universe. it is every where, hidden in rings of electrons, in the background radiation of the stars, in the moment between infinities. And amazingly we have been born to hear and to produce it. The possibilities of music, the mathematics of tone, tempo, and rhythm, the magic of empathic response, and the facets of memory that music invokes have been rebuilding me over the last few years.

The frisson that comes as I sing for my god, as I listen to the words of truly gifted singers and music makers and as I hear the music in the background of the world change me and make me something else each time I hear it. I hear it all trying to sing his name even as we humans change it with the noise of industry to sing our own praises it still is there the universe making music to a greater force than we will ever understand.

I really do understand now why Jesus talked about the rocks praising and calling his name because it is there in the very structure of the universe praising him with every movement. It is there if you want to listen to it but it needs a still silent place to hear the song that is everywhere. To feel the frission move through you, cut you to the quick and change you in its song.

No comments: